Monday, July 23, 2012

Favourite Five: Beauty Products

Believe it or not, there was a time when I couldn't leave the house without doing my hair & make-up. I know, it's vain, but I had a lot more time on my hands and looking decent when you're going to Home Depot was important to me. Fast forward to 2012 and you may have seen me at the grocery store with wet hair, no make-up, & (if it's a really bad day) no bra either. Honestly, I don't blame you for not coming up to say "hello"...
That being said, I've managed to find a balance where I can spruce up a bit with the help of my go-to beauty products without spending 45 minutes in front of the mirror. Note: I am not claiming to be some sort of beauty expert! Oh no no no, quite the contrary. These are just MY five favourite products to help make me look human with little effort.


Let's go through them clock-wise:
1. Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder in Brown
    I love dry shampoo. I could not live without it. I only wash my hair every 2-3 days (longer if I have hair extensions) but I don't dig the oily, flat, slept-on look that us girls with thinner hair get. The added bonus is that this dry shampoo is also tinted so it lightly covers up any regrowth that may be showing. Consider this a warning though: if you aren't careful with how you apply it, it will colour your forehead, tshirt, or any other innocent bystander so please practice applying it in the nude. It's also a little pricey (about $50) but I can make mine last up to six months so it's not too bad.
2. Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Fair-Light
    I first bought this as a moisturizer for our trip to Hawaii last year because it has an SPF of 30. I quickly learned that you do not need a moisturizer in Hawaii, the humidity takes care of that for you, but after the first day I stopped wearing make-up altogether & only wore this in place of cover-up/foundation. It's light, so it doesn't provide a lot of coverage but it does a great job of evening skin tone. Plus it's cheap, like $10ish at Shoppers.
3. Almay Get Up & Grow Mascara in Brown-Black
    I had been desperate to find a mascara that I liked. I must have bought 6 different brands before reading a review of this one on another blog. It doesn't smudge or flake & even the non-waterproof one lasts all day. For me, applying mascara is the difference between looking like I was up all night and hiding the fact that I was up all night. It's the quick-fix for anyone with light or sparse eyelashes. Also a cheap buy, costing about $8 at Shoppers.
4. Blistex Medicated Mint Balm
    I have about 80 different lipsticks, glosses, & tints but I still only use good ol' fashioned lip balm everyday. I always choose one with an SPF as well (this one is 15), because sunburned lips are THE WORST. $3, Shoppers.
5. MAC Cosmetics Pressed Blot Powder, Light
    This stuff is great to apply again & again throughout the day whenever your skin starts to get a little shiny. If I'm only wearing tinted moisturizer & no powder, I brush a little over my nose & forehead to matte it down a bit. Confession: I don't always wash off my make up at night. THE HORROR! But if you too are this lazy, throw a layer of blot powder over last night's make-up & you're good to go for at least another couple of hours. Approx. $30.

There you have it! A lazy busy girl's stash of necessary products to get ready in less than five minutes!



No comments:

Post a Comment