Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What Happened This Week: Baking & Kismet

I'm sure everyone can relate to this: you go to the grocery store, buy 5 bananas, eat 4, & throw one in the freezer. The next week you buy 4, eat 3, & throw one in the freezer. I can never seem to win this battle, ending up with a freezer that looks like this:
It's a running joke between Kevin & I that I've been saving them to make banana bread when really I just have a hard time throwing them away. Finally this week I broke down & just baked a couple loaves.
I like baking but with just two of us in the house we don't need a bunch of cake laying around so Kevin took the other loaf to the kids helping him run the Oilers Hockey Camp. 

In unrelated news, I finally finished The Hunger Games (I know, I'm a little late to the party). I don't normally get hooked in to book series, with the exception of Twilight {ahem}, and I DEFINITELY do not intend on reading the remainder of a certain other popular book trilogy {gag!}, so I was left bookless at the beginning of the week. Then, as if Fate took pity on me, we passed a little trolley outside a neighbour's house on our evening walk with piles of books & a little sign that said "Free". What luck! I picked up a couple & now I'm set until my "holds" come in at the library.
Now I just need to find an hour to sit & enjoy one of my favourite pass-times. What was your best free find?



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh bananas. It's always a race against time with them. We had this same problem for a long time too, but I would never actually make the banana bread. Now, I peel them and place them in a container in the freezer. That way you can use them in other ways, like smoothies (frozen, peeled bananas are the best in smoothies!). Or banana ice cream. If you leave them unpeeled, you pretty much have to use them in baking (which I never do).

    Also, free books! Love it. I've actually been thinking about re-reading White Oleander lately :)What's the book underneath that one?

    ReplyDelete