Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Happiness Project: Step 1 - Assess


Do you remember those little quizzes in the back of teen magazines? "Is he boyfriend material?", "What's your summer colour?"... God, I loved those quizzes. In Gretchen Rubin's book, The Happiness Project, she mentions a tool which highlights the fundamental dimensions of one's personality. Taking a test like this is supposed to help you gain some perspective when planning your Happiness Project resolutions. I recently took a similar test online and the results were spot on. Note: it recommends that you assess someone else at the same time to give you an 'x factor' to compare yourself to - I'm not going to disclose who that person is, but you can probably make a good assumption.

The same week I finished reading "The Happiness Project", the author, Gretchen Rubin, was featured on Katie Couric's talk show. I recorded it thinking it might be interesting (it wasn't) but Katie did offer a quiz of her own to rate your happiness. As I suspected, I am "very satisfied with my life".

So the goal is to become "extremely satisfied with my life" (Katie's words, not mine). According the The Big Five I need to:
  • Be more curious, open to new experiences, and creative.
  • Be more organized and less negligent.
  • Be more social, and
  • Be more agreeable.
This is all very consistent with the notes I marked down while reading "The Happiness Project" so I'm feeling pretty self-aware. Now to pound out some resolutions to work on. I'm getting more excited about this by the minute!

Has anyone else started a Happiness Project?


No comments:

Post a Comment