Friday, December 14, 2012

Dining Table, Before & After

This time last year I took on the project of refinishing a china cabinet & hutch for our living room. I had no prior experience with painting furniture but I read a lot of DIY blogs and figured it should take me a week or two to do - ha ha haaaa! About a month later, this is what we had:
Although the process was time-consuming, laborious, and a tad frustrating I loved the end result. So I set my sights on a 'new' dining table. We've been using a dining set that Kevin's parents had custom made in the 80's. It was expensive and in good shape but I wanted something painted and I couldn't bring myself to tamper with it so we sold it to Kevin's uncle and brought this beauty home:
 Nice, right? I'm sure everyone's grandparents have one of these bad boys. I dismantled it, sanded it down, and painted it a pale beige colour. I then used candle wax & Vaseline around the edges and on a few strategic marks and repainted it a creamy white. When I lightly sanded the whole thing down again, the wax/Vaseline came right off to reveal the first colour underneath, giving it that well-worn look I love so much.
The white really pops out against the darker wood floor and brightens up the room, especially when the sunlight reflects off it. I opted for a semi-gloss finish and applied 6 coats as I anticipate this table getting a lot of use.
A round pedestal table feels so elegant and really opens up the room. It's much easier to move around the breakfast nook now.
We're currently using our upholstered chairs with slipcovers until I'm motivated enough to re-do the four Windsor chairs that came with the table. Another project for another blog post!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Erin, it looks awesome! I love the look of a round, pedestal table. You should come over and finish my furniture projects for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We should have a furniture painting/wine drinking evening!

      Delete
    2. Yes! That is a fantastic idea! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Job! I have one I scooped up from an auction I need to work on...just praying for Winter to go away!

    ReplyDelete