Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Holiday Hostess Gift

I discovered these sweet little ornaments on Pinterest a few months back and added them to my "I Wish I Was Craftier" board so that I could continue to admire them. When I was trying to come up with a creative idea for a hostess trinket at the beginning of the month I thought they would be perfect. The recipe is super easy and they smell wonderful - like apple pie, really.

To make them you'll need:

1 cup applesauce
1.5 cups ground cinnamon (plus some for dusting)
cookie cutter in a shape of your choosing
string

Mix the applesauce & cinnamon together in a large bowl. Abandon any attempt to use a spoon and dive in with both hands; you really need to knead the dough to incorporate all the cinnamon. Once the dough is spongy (too sticky? add cinnamon - too dry? add applesauce), roll it out on a flat surface dusted in cinnamon to about 1/4" thick. Cut out your shapes and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. The ornaments will not rise so your shapes can be close together but not touching. Poke holes through each ornament with a skewer. Bake at 200F for 1.5 hours then turn off oven and leave them to sit overnight - the point is to allow all the moisture from the applesauce to evaporate. Remove from oven and thread with string (I used Divine Twine in Cherry from Sweet Social).
I decided to customize some of the ornaments to use as gift tags so before baking them, during the skewer-step, I also pressed a rubber stamp initial in to each 'cookie'.
Note: the ornaments are not edible and should be kept out of reach of little kids and pets.
Our stars look really sweet on our tree and they smell so good as you walk by. They were really quick and cheap to make and so far each hostess we've given them to has been impressed. Thanks for that, Pinterest!

{Original source credit: katyelliot.com}

Follow me on Pinterest! Username erinnwonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment