Friday, January 18, 2013

Fruit & Veggie Baby Muffins

Now that Wesley is finger-feeding I've been looking for some creative ways to get him to eat his vegetables. I decided to bake him some mini muffins to help make them a little more appealing - and they were a hit! They're a great high-protein, vitamin-rich snack for adults too so I thought I would share the recipe.


Ingredients
2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup frozen blueberries (alternative: 1 cup chopped, peeled apple)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, & baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl combine eggs, yogurt, & vanilla. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until just moistened.
3. Fold in zucchini, carrots, & berries (or apples).
4. Spoon in to lightly greased muffin tins.
5. Bake at 375F for:
                              9-11 minutes for mini muffins
                              20-22 minutes for regular muffins
6. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Yields 24 mini muffins or 18 regular muffins.

I keep a bag of these in our freezer and pull out a couple muffins an hour before snack time to let them thaw then tear them in to bite-size pieces for Wesley to feed himself. The protein comes from the Greek yogurt and the carrots, zucchini, & blueberries provide a dose of Vitamins A & C.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I don't have a baby, but I'm thinking I'd like to make them for myself! I'm struggling to find healthy snacks to have in the car with me when I'm driving around for work.

    ReplyDelete