Friday, February 1, 2013

Fake Braids

When I was a little girl I was never taught how to braid my hair. It could have just been overlooked - it could have been because I had a spiral perm through the 90s - but whatever the reason, it's just not a skill I possess. Braided hair is all over beauty blogs, magazines, and Pinterest these days and it's inspired me to try to learn how to do them now. To teach myself I went directly to YouTube, searching "how to braid hair", "how to French braid hair", "easy ways to braid hair", etc. You know that saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? It totally applies to this situation.

What I have taught myself in the process is how to fake-braid my hair so that it looks braided. A few that have turned out somewhat alright are:

Braided Bun



This was the result of trying to French braid my hair, giving up partway through, and just tying it in a bun. It worked! I actually really like this style because it keeps my hair off my neck and shoulders but it's a little softer than a bun or top-knot.

Messy Side Braid

 

This one also started as an attempt at French braiding and ended up being a normal braid. I like wearing my hair like this on days that I don't wash my hair or don't want to use heat on it. It also doesn't pull on my scalp the way a ponytail or bun does so you don't get that hair-up-headache.



The Maiden Roll



I love the look of a braided hair band. It just gives your hair a little more dimension, a feminine twist on your regular down-do. My hair is just too thin to spare three sections large enough to braid so instead I'll take two sections from just behind my ear on one side, twist them around each other, pull it across my head, and pin it behind my other ear. It looks virtually the same but is easier (for me) and requires less hair.

I have some more experimenting to do but I think I'm going to have to give up the dream of ever having beautiful Grecian Goddess braids. For now I'm pretty pleased to have some new hairstyles in my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment