Friday, February 8, 2013

Valentine's Card DIY


I'm not usually one who gets very excited over Valentine's Day but since this will be Wesley's first I'm looking forward to starting some traditions with him. My most vivid memory of Valentine's Day growing up is the card exchange at school. There was always one afternoon in February that was dedicated to building your little "mailbox" & passing out cards and then the real excitement of opening them all up once you got home. This week I assembled some pretty & easy valentine cards for Wesley to send off to his friends.


You've probably seen tons of craft ideas that use paint cards from hardware stores - they're all over Pinterest - so that was my first stop. I used a craft punch to get all my little hearts in different shades of pink but you could also cut them out with scissors (if you were only making a few cards). Cardstock in two sizes & colours, craft glue, glue pen, red glitter, and paper adhesive make up the rest of the supplies needed.


1) Print out your messages on the letter-sized cardstock. I used white paper and printed them in landscape orientation to get 4 cards per sheet. 2) Cut your cardstock in quarters to separate the cards - I used a paper cutter but scissors would work again here. 3) Draw a heavy, rounded line across your card with the glue pen. I wanted the hearts to look like they are hanging from a clothes line so I tried to draw that shape. 4) Sprinkle the wet glue with your sparkles, enough to cover the whole line.
5) Shake off excess sparkles. *Tip: spray the sparkle line with hairspray to keep them from rubbing off later. 6) Use your craft glue to attach your hearts along the "clothes line". 7) I used 4 hearts in different shades of pink to create an ombre look but you could use alternating colours or all one colour - get creative! 8) Trim your second colour of cardstock slightly larger than the first to create a border all the way around. 9) Attach your message card to the backing using paper adhesive (or double-sided tape).


All done and ready to be delivered! A simple & fun way to spread the love this Valentine's Day. Hopefully Wesley's friends are as excited about opening their cards as I was about making them!

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet.
    I just found your blog and am looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Love the ombre hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how I love your craft~ Love its cuteness and prettiness. It would be great to have romantic Valentines day messages on them. Cheers and happy Valentines day!

    Marilyn
    http://easyday.snydle.com/valentines-day-wishes-and-messages.html

    ReplyDelete