Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Day Decorating & A Tassel Garland DIY

I mentioned last week that I'm not typically excited for Valentine's Day but because this will be my baby's first I wanted to make it special and decided to do a little decorating. I saw this as a chance to re-use some of my Christmas decorations, like the red pillar candles and heart-shaped ornaments from Ikea.


I was also in the mood for a little crafting so I decided to make a tissue paper tassel garland for our mantel.


It was super easy and cheap so I thought I would share the steps with you.


1) Fold one sheet of tissue paper in half width-wise then in half again width-wise. 2) With your seams at the top & left, cut 1/2 inch strips towards the top fold leaving 2 inches uncut at top. 3) Unfold tissue once and cut in half, set one piece aside. 4) Unfold tissue all the way then roll up the center tightly. 5) Twist the center from one tasseled end to the other. 6) Loop around and twist together to form an "eye".


Repeat steps 1-6 with different colours of tissue paper to make as many tassels as you would like (I made 20). Thread a length of cord or ribbon through your tassels to make a garland - I used my Divine Twine in Cherry. 
 
I used the left over tissue paper to make a pom pom which, together with my heart-shaped balloons, completes the look I wanted. I already had the candles, ornaments, and twine - the balloons were a gift from my friend Ramona at Sweet Social - so I spent a grand total of $3 on tissue paper & helium for my decorations. Not too shabby!


Now that we're all set up, bring on the festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment