Wednesday, March 20, 2013

50 Shades of Green


Saint Patrick's Day has long been my favourite holiday of the year. My friends & I used to meet up at the pub around 9 am and stay there all day long drinking green beer & Baby Guinness shooters, watching Irish dancers, and staying out way too late. Since the birth of our son, March 17th will be celebrated in an entirely different manner so for Wesley's first birthday we decided to combine the two holidays and throw a green-themed birthday party.

 {the invitation}

 
I made two banners: a name banner for the mantel and another tissue paper tassel garland for the kitchen (tutorial here), both strung up with Divine Twine. My sister helped make a flower arrangement using spray mums and pale green mini carnations. My other go-to decoration, the tissue paper poms, dangled from the chandelier in the front entryway along side a GIANT green balloon, weighed down by a bag of dried peas. I arranged some more balloons into little groupings trying to create an ombre effect.

 

One of my goals for my last month of maternity leave was to print & frame some of our favourite photos of Wesley. For his party we decided to display them along our mantel so you could see how much he's grown in a year's time. 


In keeping with tradition, our guests were asked to wear green. The birthday boy wore an aqua polo and green pants from H&M while I wore my mint corduroys with a white blouse and my 'W' necklace. 


We maintained the green theme with the food, serving guacamole, salsa verde, & spinach dip along side green grapes, honeydew melon, cucumber, & snap peas. In addition to St Patrick's Day staples like Guinness and Bailey's we had Stewart's lime cream soda & lime slices in water for the non-drinkers. 


To satisfy the sweet tooth, Rice Krispies treats drizzled in green chocolate and an assortment of green candies were on hand. It's hard to say 'no' to candy when little wooden scoops pour the perfect little portions. 

{the cake, served with mint chip ice cream}


As guests left they were treated with shamrock sugar cookie favours (which my husband spent much time icing for me) and Baby Mum Mums for the littles. I had so much fun planning the details of this party and it was exciting to start some new traditions. I love colour-themed parties and this one worked out perfectly. Our house is still decorated and will stay that way until the enormous balloon in the front entryway drops and it's time to pack up all of the green - until next year.

While most the decorations were built by me, I did have some help as well. The 36" balloon, paper straws, mini wooden scoops, & Divine Twine can all be found at sweetsocial.ca, among many other beautiful party supplies.



4 comments:

  1. I love the cake! Any chance you would post a tutorial ?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, what a fantastic party you threw for your boy! What a lucky guy!
    {I was trying to insert luck of the Irish pun here but came up short.}
    We celebrated a first birthday over here this month too.

    ReplyDelete