Monday, March 4, 2013

Well Read: Mommy Books


Whoever said that babies don't come with instruction manuals could not have been more wrong. There are hundreds of parenting books offering advice on everything from feeding to sleep-training, sign language to potty-training. It's a little overwhelming. I generally just walk past that aisle of the bookstore on my way to the "chick lit" section but I have stopped to buy a few books that I had heard about in the media. These are three of my favourites.

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman


My husband suggested I pick up this book after he read a review on it in the newspaper - he knows I love all things French! I'm glad I did because it provides a really interesting insight in to how a different culture raises their children. The author describes how French children seem to eat better, sleep better, and demonstrate better manners when in public than American children do, in general. She also notes, with envy, that the parents seem more relaxed as well. While French parents share the same philosophies as Americans (and Canadians, let's be honest) their approach is quite different - and it works! I loved this book. It's lighthearted and fun but also informative. I'm rereading it right now and enjoying it even more than the first time. It's a good book whether your baby is 5 weeks or 5 years old, even if you never apply the concepts.


Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne


Another newspaper book review discovery, the full title of this book is what got my attention. "Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids" - sounds good, right? I've heard this book is actually pretty controversial as his methods are the opposite of what most parents are currently doing. The author, a family counselor with a masters degree in education, promotes the concept of 'simplifying' four main areas of your family's life: environment, rhythm, schedule, and filtering out the adult world. This involves getting rid of any excess toys (his definition of 'excess' and 'toys' is what surprises people), cutting way back on organized activities to allow room for inspired & imaginative play, and eliminating (or, at the very least, reducing) all screen time before the age of 7. You can see how it's controversial, yes? It makes a lot of sense though and provides a really good starting point for creating and maintaining balance in your family's life.

Confessions of a Scary Mommy by Jill Smokler


I first heard about this book on the Crappy Pictures blog that I mentioned in this post. It's written by another mommy blogger based on excerpts from her website and input from her readers. It's the kind of read that makes you feel so much better when you think you're having a sub-par day of parenting. This is definitely the comedic relief every mom (or mom to be) needs.


So if you find yourself with twenty minutes of spare time and want to fill them with some good reads, these are my recommendations.

Have you read any good "instruction manuals" recently?

1 comment:

  1. I have found that some of the best advice on raising children comes from listening to YOUR MOM!,

    Love from,
    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete