Saturday, May 17, 2014

bunny cake

 
 
When I mentioned to a girlfriend of mine that Shiva's birthday party was going to be a rabbit theme (see that post here) she suggested I make the bunny-shaped cake that her grandmother made every year for Easter. Once I knew how easy it was I was onboard! I started by making my carrot cake recipe but instead of baking it in a 9x13 pan I used a 9 inch round pan and made cupcakes with the left over batter.
 
 
Carrot Cake Recipe
 
1) Mix together: 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1 tsp ground nutmeg.
 
2) Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add in: 1 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 cup vegetable oil, 3 eggs, and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
 
3) Mix with a wooden spoon then stir in 2 cups shredded carrot and 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained).
 
4) Pour in to greased 9x13 baking pan (I used the 9 inch round for the bunny cake) and bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
 
Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
 
1) Cream together 8 ounces of cream cheese with 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tsp lemon juice.
 


After the cake had cooled completely, I cut it in half to make two half moons.
 
 
 
Frost the tops of each piece of cake with a thin layer of cream cheese icing and then sandwich them together.  
 
 
Place your cake cut side down on to your serving plate. About a quarter of the way up your cake, cut a notch out and place it behind the cake, this makes the bunny's ears and tail.
 
 
Frost the entire cake with two or three thin layers of cream cheese icing being sure to cover all the cake. Once this is done you can decorate as you wish: my friend's grandma used to cover the whole cake in shredded coconut to give her bunny cake a "furry" look, I pressed a pink jellybean in the front for a nose. Cut "ears" out of cardstock and stick them in the cake notch.
 
 
Voila! A dessert that is both adorable and delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment