Saturday, July 12, 2014

men's dress shirt banner

For the last two and half years Wesley's room has been 95% complete. The long wall behind his crib is covered in this really pretty yellow damask wallpaper and while I love it, it's a lot of yellow. I wanted to something to break it up a bit but didn't want to hang heavy picture frames above his bed. I love the old fashioned fair look of pennant banners and wanted something similar but a little more unique.

I went to Goodwill and bought men's dress shirts in different patterns and shades of light blue. The store was having a sale that day so I got 4 shirts for $8. I tore them in to long strips, keeping the ends frayed for a rustic look.

I tied each strip with one loop around a long piece of garden twine in no particular order.

I kept the pieces close together to make it look fuller, alternating between longer and shorter pieces. I finished by tying a knot and bow on each end.

It really finishes the room the way I wanted it. This project was so cheap and easy I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to do it! I would definitely try it again with different colours of scrap fabric - maybe red and white for Christmas or pastels for spring!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment